Move Like a Pro
What is it about packing all our worldly possessions into little boxes that just seems to strike fear in the hearts of people? While we understand that the prospect of living in a new area can be unsettling, the moving process does not have to be as stressful as it seems.
Use our Find-A-Mover tool to find a mover who gives back. (All of our Movers belong to AMSA, a state association or an accredited van line.)
Follow our moving tips to Move Like A Pro for stress-free moving day.
- Hire a certified professional relocation company. Everyone's heard the horror stories, so don't take chances with your property when choosing a moving company. Ask the salesmen if the company belongs to your state's moving association, an accredited van line or AMSA. Both van lines and moving associations hold their members to higher standards so you can rest easy knowing your valuables are in the hands of responsible professionals.
- Start early. While it may seem obvious many people don't leave enough time to properly prepare for the move. Starting early reduces stress and allows you to deal with unintended problems. You've got enough to worry about when relocating, don't make the calendar your enemy! If you are doing the packing yourself, begin boxing up items at least four weeks ahead of the move day to provide ample time to prepare your valuable items for the big move.
- Know your rights and responsibilities. Do you know what your bill of lading is or how to complete a claim for damaged goods? Check out the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's Protect My Move page to learn more about your rights while moving.
- Keep an inventory of your valuable items and their condition. Make note of any visible damage to themoving boxes or unboxed items on delivery day.
- Provide the driver with your contact information should he have any questions about finding your new location. Get the driver's number as well as any available tracking information so you can keep tabs on your valuables while en route to your new home.
- Do a final walkthrough of your home before the driver leaves. Check closets, attics, crawl spaces shelves and other areas for any items that could easily be left behind.
Still stressed out? Here's some more resources to help you prepare for your big relocation.
- Packing Tips to get ready for the big day
- Moving Resources from our Industry Insders
- Tips for finding a trustworthy moving company.